Mevagissey is centred around an active beautiful fishing harbour.
The Eden Project
The Eden Project does much more than offer a memorable day out in Cornwall. Eden is also a charity and social enterprise. Visit www.edenproject.com. Stunning gardens and laying on fantastic arts and music events
Creating unforgettable learning experiences for students. Doing valuable research into plants and conservation
There is so much you simply can’t read about it you have to go there. Suitable for all age groups
Eating out in Mevagissey – Our guide
Fantastic places to eat in Mevagissey, from coffee shops to harbour fresh seafood fayre, food lovers restaurants, cosy romantic and easy family dining. See our pick of the best in Mevagissey,
Our No. 1 Choice: The Fountain Inn, just off the harbour in the centre, offers very good quality food, very popular and occasionally hosts the Mevagissey Male Voice Choir. Good Value, Lovey food and good pub atmosphere. Very popular
For a different experience go to Sams on the Beach at Polkerris, here you will dine in the old lifeboat station which looks directly out to sea in the harbour of this quintessential tiny village hollowed out of the amazing Cornish rocky landscape. Modern airy setting, good atmosphere, good for lunch. About 30 minutes from Mevagissey, worth the ride. Park in the car park as you go in the village.
FISHERMANS CHIPPY – 01726 842209 ****
CORNISH BAKERY – 01726 844366 **** THE FISH GRILL – 07491 280814 **** SANDWICH HUT
MARTIN’S BAKERY – 01726 842288 ****
MAHARAAJ Indian – 01726 844701 ****
CALACHIA ICE CREAM
LITTLE CHINA 01726 842480 – Good reviews on Tripadvisor
HARBOURSIDE ICE CREAM
CENTRAL CAFE FISH & CHIPS – 01726 843109 ****
ROSKILLY’S ICE CREAM
Mevagissey Spice 1726 844701 Indian, Balti, Balgladeshi – Good reviews on Tripadvisor
KING’S ARMS –01726 843904 (Pub bakery and Wine Shop) Lobster cooked in season (book)
THE SHIP – 01726 843324 Traditional – live music
THE FOUNTAIN INN (just off harbor)– 01726 842320 *****
HARBOUR TAVERN (harbourside) – 01726 842220 ****
SHARKSFIN (harbourside) – 01726 842969 *****
THE WHEELHOUSE – local fish, breakfast, friendly cosy, harbourside for meals and coffee
THE RISING SUN – PORTMELLON – pub food, Sunday lunch, traditional **
RIVER STREET – 01726 844347
THE LOCKER – 01726 843737
TEA ON THE QUAY – 01726 844819 ****
NUMBER FIVE (& RESTAURANT) also good for coffee and breakfast– 01726 844422 *****
SHE SELLS – 01726 843503 – lovely fresh approach to food! harbourside
THE SNACK SHACK – Portmellon Beach 10- 4 pm for light lunch overlooking the beach (al-fresco) coffees etc. Paddleboard hire. Car parking if preferred, or short walk *****
SALAMANDER 01726 842254 ***** SMALL FRIENDLY EXCELLENT FOOD – AMUST ALVORADA- 01726 842055 *****LOVELY RESTAURANT, ATMOSPHERE-FISH- HARBOUR THE WHEELHOUSE – 01726 339029 **** fish, coffee, snacks, lunch dinner breakfast
ROOVRAYS – 01726 842627 ***** INTIMATE FINE DINING NUMBER 5 – 01726 844422 ***** MODERN, FUN EXCELLENT FOOD
SHARKS FIN -– 01726 842969 ***** GREAT FAMILY, BUSY, HARBOUR VIEW
Lots of other pubs, cafes, a bakery, fish and chip shops and take-aways. Enjoy! There is a full list of restaurants at the house with contact numbers and more information.
During Feast Week (this year 24th June for a week) the restaurants and pubs cook around the harbour-side and it really is a feast! not to be missed!!
The following web site gives details of all the best and up-to-date cycle routes https://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Cornwall-Routes-68.html
There is local cycle hire from Pentewan nearby (10 minutes). Visit https://www.pentewanvalleycyclehire.co.uk/ where they offer a list of local cycle routes to the local attractions such as Eden Project (Eden Project offer a discount if you arrive by bike!)[/icon_list_item]
Visit the once lost gardens and learn the history and see the amazing work that has been done here. With acres of grounds to visit, the heritage plants and award winning restoration project, it offers something for everyone for a full day out. To appreciate the full extent of the gardens and the attraction visit www.heligan.com
Rated the best beaches in the world Cornwall’s beaches are rated among the best in the UK and even the world. Thanks to the our unique position on the UK’s south west peninsula, 80% of Cornwall is surrounded by the sea with the longest stretch of coastline in the UK at 476km.
Find a beach and beach activity near SKYSAIL, Mevagissey, Portmellon, Gorran Haven and Pentewan.
- Lovely Portmellon beach, 5 minutes walk from SKYSAIL, it is a tidal sandy beach great for sandcastles and rock pool fishing, there is a friendly public house on the Quayside “The Rising Sun”
- Snack Shack offers light lovely lunches and paddle board hire.
- Mevagissey Harbour has a tiny tidal beach
- Mevagissey has a beach to the north accessible by a cliff walk and a bridge
- Gorran Haven, 10 minutes drive or a 40 minute panoramic cliff walk for the energetic, offers a cosy sandy pretty beach with a beach cafe and small yacht harbour. Kayak Hire during the summer season by the beach entrance. Cafes & Pubs.
- Pentewan Beach, 10 minutes drive. Good Beach Guide Recommended 2014 – Over half a mile of east-facing sandy beach, mostly in front of Pentewan caravan park, suitable for swimming, surfing, windsurfing, sea canoeing and with a slipway for sailing.
There are many more… go to www.visitcornwall.com
Beach Water quality
The Marine Conservation Society Good Beach Guide tested 82 beaches in Cornwall in 2014 for water quality with a 100% pass rate, and 91% scoring the highest marks available.
The RNLI provide a life-guard service at the most popular beaches during the busiest months, however visitors are advised to check beforehand for more detailed information at RNLI website. Be careful when exploring beaches at low tide, don’t get cut off, check tide times too before you visit. Safety information notices are provided on site at the most popular beaches.More beach safety tips
Mevagissey village is arguably one of the most picturesque harbours in Cornwall. It has one of the last remaining active fishing fleets bringing fresh fish to the region all year round. You can purchase fresh fish from the harbour side. There are fishing trips available, sight seeing trips, a ferry trip to Fowey from the harbour and private boat hire. The town offers ample restaurants, cafes and pubs, a free aquarium and Mevagissey has its own Museum and for train enthusiasts a Miniature train attraction. We provide a list of restaurants at the house with contact numbers.
North: Polperro Heritage Coast Walk To the North of Mevagissey taking the coastal path , head towards Gribbin Head – Polperro Heritage Coast, Fowey, Cornwall
South: The Roseland Heritage Coast Walk – Heading South from Mevagissey taking the panoramic coastal path past Gorran Haven and on to Saint Mawes
Fishing Trips from Mevagissey Harbour
Fishing Trips are available from the harbour side. See Aquila and others for deep sea and or Mackeral fishing trips. 2 hours or charter for longer. No equipment needed!
Day Trip to Fowey by Ferry from the Harbour Mevagissey
The Ferry from Mevagissey Harbour to Fowey runs daily see the timetable here 15th April – 3rd October.
Coastal Cruises from Mevagissey Harbour
More things to do!
- Beautiful coastal walks
- Lost Gardens of Heligan & farm shop (10 miles from Mevagissey)
- Caerhays Castle and Gardens (6 miles from Mevagissey)
- Mevagissey to Fowey ferry – 10 minute walk
- Tall Ships at Charlestown Harbour (7 miles from Mevagissey)
- Trewithen Gardens (9 miles)
- St Austell Brewery Visitor centre (6.5 miles from Mevagissey)
- Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum (8 miles from Mevagissey)
- Charlestown Shipwreck & Heritage Museum (7 miles from Mevagissey)
- Eden Project (10 miles from Mevagissey)
- St Mawes Castle (17 miles from Mevagissey)
- Restormel Castle (15 miles from Mevagissey)
- Bodmin & Wenford Railway (18 miles from Mevagissey)
- Screech Owl Sanctuary (16 miles from Mevaigssey)
- Trelisick Gardens (20 miles from Mevagissey)
- The Camel Trail (26 miles from Mevagissey)
- Pendennis Castle (27 miles from Mevagissey)
- Trebah Gardens (28 miles from Mevagissey)
- Glendurgan Gardens (28 miles from Mevagissey)
- Tate St.Ives (47 miles from Mevagissey)
- Minack Theatre (57 miles from Mevagissey)